STUDENT LEADERSHIP IN THE MIGHTY MARCHING PIRATES ORGANIZATION
Whether your goal is to be a section leader, band captain, drum major or simply the best marching pirate you can be, excellence and hard work are required.
Criteria for those seeking formal leadership roles include the following:
- Leaders must participate in activities such as Solo and Ensemble, All-district, all county, and all state.
- Leaders must show superior practice habits.
- Leaders must put the band ahead of themselves.
- Leaders must be able to play all 12 major scales, from memory, 2 octaves where appropriate. The ability to play better than the expectation will not put you ahead of anyone, but being unable to meet the expectation may disqualify you from candidacy.
- Leaders must be on time, all the time.
- Leaders must be able to think for themselves and come up with solutions before they talk to a superior. This solution does not need to be THE solution, but it shows you have thought about the problem.
- Leaders need to show no favoritism.
- Leaders must display excellent rehearsal etiquette.
- Leaders must be in band class.
Links to help you better understand the leadership role
- Classic Leadership Lesson 1 - Dr Tim Lautzenheiser
- Lead by example: How to be a "leader" without the title